The Beaufort has always had strong links with nearby Raglan Castle. There has been a building on the site in view of the castle well before the Siege of Raglan Castle (Castell Rhaglan) in 1646 when Roundhead soldiers used The Beaufort to refresh themselves during the length of the siege.
In the entrance foyer a seemingly insignificant large timber is believed to be all that remains of a dividing wooden structure which separated the living and sleeping quarters of a medieval dwelling. Underground wells and vaulted enclosures, not now in the public domain of the building, indicate possible passageways to the castle itself. Local myth has it that pre 1914 a stash of vintage champagne was lodged here.
During the 19th century the inn was a popular mail-coach stop on the South Wales – Fishguard route. The Coach House building of today being where the farriers then worked in the heart of Raglan (Calon y Rhaglan) . In a village known for the longevity of its inhabitants some can still re-call several prime ministers and their entourages staying here whilst fishing on the rivers Usk and Wye.
The old stone fireplace in the lounge, like other items, were removed from the castle at the beginning of the 20th century when the castle was abandoned as a quarry before coming under the care of CADW.
Of late The Beaufort seems to have become much more connected with the media, a number of television personalities and their crews have chosen The Beaufort as their hostelry after filming in the Monmouthshire countryside. You may well recognise parts of the inn in film clips and Knights in Armour have been seen eating a full Welsh breakfast right in the heart of Raglan.